Voice of the Faithful is hosting two Synod comments sessions to obtain input on the Continental Stage working document “Enlarge the space of your tent.” The sessions are part of the necessary communications with laity, religious, and clerics that national bishops’ conferences must obtain prior to consultation with other conferences during the Continental Stage.
There are two sessions, each posting the same questions. The questions we address will be the same in both sessions, drawn from the Continental Document itself. Please choose the date and time best suited to your schedule.
- Wednesday, Feb. 1, at 3 pm (Eastern; 2 pm Central, 1 pm Mountain, Noon Pacific)
- Friday, Feb. 3, at 6:30 pm (Eastern; 5:30 pm Central, 4:30 pm Mountain, and 3:30 pm Pacific).
Please register ahead of time so that we have enough facilitators on-hand for the breakout sessions.
Preparing for the Session
To prepare for the Continental Stage discussion session, we suggest:
- Watch the video summarizing where we are in the Synod process and the results so far. (Not essential, but it will help.)
- Read the Continental document (DCS) itself. Reading the document ahead of time is extremely important. Note especially pages 45-47 and 49 (item 4).
- Optional: If you have not yet read them and have time, review the USCCB National submission from the Diocesan Stage of the Synod and the VOTF submission that went to the General Secretariat.
These are the questions we will ask during the sessions.
- After having read and prayed with the DCS, which intuitions resonate most strongly with the lived experiences and realities of the Church in your continent? Which experiences are new, or illuminating to you?”
- After having read and prayed with the DCS, what substantial tensions or divergences emerge as particularly important in your continent’s perspective? Consequently, what are the questions or issues that should be addressed and considered in the next steps of the process?”
- Looking at what emerges from the previous two questions, what are the priorities, recurring themes and calls to action that can be shared with other local Churches around the world and discussed during the First Session of the Synodal Assembly in October 2023?