Vatican II working group • Year two of out three-year plan
During our first year, we focused on the image of the People of God, taken from the Dogmatic Constitution on the Church of Vatican II. That worked well in focusing our attention and developing a presentation to the 2023 Assembly
Our plan for the second year is to focus on the ‘Church in the Present World,’ referencing the Vatican II Dogmatic Constitution on ‘The Church in the Modern World,’ Gaudium et Spes (1965).
We will conduct zoom meetings of the working group to prepare a plan to invite others to participate in zoom sessions.
We will seek to show how the Instrumentum laboris (working document) for the October 2023 synod presents topics that show that the relationship between the goal of the synod and the themes of Gaudium et Spes relate to the Church in the Present World.
We will also seek to show how these relationships promote synodality in the Church in the Present World.
Once our committee has clarity regarding these issues, we will open our zoom sessions to any who wish to work with us in furthering the goal of our working group and hence of Vatican II.
This is especially timely given the polarizing tensions of our present world and within our Church.
Following is the context of our planning, as reported earlier:
AUSCP announces three focus areas related to Vatican II for the coming years. We pose the following questions to consider in pondering the three texts below:
- Can you give fundamental support to the three statements as they relate to present day issues in Church and world and to the fundamental teachings of Vatican II?
- People of God,
- Religious Freedom,
- Church in Present Day
- Can you see yourself working with others to make one or another of these statements truly alive in today’s Church and world? What specific initiatives could you and others take to make these Council teachings more prominent in the current life of the Church and society?
- Do you agree that these three statements help to promote Pope Francis’ vision of Vatican II present in today’s Church and world? Comment?
Other Featured Vatican II Content
Association of Pittsburgh Priests — Kristin Colberg
CLICK HERE to view a presentation, A Synod of firsts and surprises: Looking ahead on the Synodal Journey, given September 13, 2023 by Kristen Colberg to the Association of Pittsburgh Priests. She says Synodality is deeply rooted in the Theology of Vatican II. (YouTube adds advertising to the video.)
AUSCP Vatican II Working Group Members
Consistent Work Group Participants
- Louie Arceneaux, CM [New Orleans, LA Archdiocese]
- Bob Bonnot [Youngstown, OH Diocese]
- Harry Bury [St. Paul/Minneapolis Archdiocese]
- Kevin Clinton [St. Paul/Minneapolis Archdiocese]
- Joe Gosselin [Atlanta, GA Archdiocese]
- George Hundt [Patterson NJ Diocese]
- Clyde Foster [Cleveland, OH Archdiocese]
- Joe Graffis [Louisville, KY Archdiocese]
- Bob Nee [Boston, MA Archdiocese]
- Tom McCarthy [Youngstown, OH Diocese]
Work Group Advisors
- Don Conroy [St.Paul/Mpls psychotherapist]
- Michael Agliardo, PhD, S.J. [Berkely, CA]
- Jan Michael Joncas [St. Paul/Minneapolis Archdiocese]
- Leo Jacoby [Friend of AUSCP, Wisconsin Layman]