Here are the “Top Ten Takeaways from Laudato Si” as summarized by Jesuit James Martin of America Magazine:
- The spiritual perspective is now part of the discussion on the environment.
- The poor are disproportionately affected by climate change.
- Less is more.
- Catholic social teaching now includes teaching on the environment.
- Discussions about ecology can be grounded in the Bible and church tradition.
- Everything is connected — including the economy.
- Scientific research on the environment is to be praised and used.
- Widespread indifference and selfishness worsen environmental problems.
- Global dialogue and solidarity are needed.
- A change of heart is required.
An Assembly to Action (A2A) newsletter has been prepared by the Climate Change Working Group on “Eating Choices & Climate Change.” It will be sent electronically this week. This could be used in parishes as a bulletin insert.